Slow Food Yamhill County
February 11, 2009 Minutes
Attend: Judi, Nanette, Lucy, Nicole, Rick, Susan. Public: Nikki Shoemaker
1. Confirm bylaw adoption, discuss public meeting/elections. Bylaws adopted at last meeting. Public meeting/hearing: JH move to hold off until we are ready (probably April) and combine it with a fun event. NV2nd. Unan-aye. Side note: NM to call Dolcci farms about having that potluck at their place after the lambs come. Perhaps combine with potluck.
1.5 Rick Thronburg. LF put on table, JH moved to formally recognize Rick as a board member with full voting rights. LF2nd. Unan-aye (NM absent).
2. Village Quarter. Review comments regarding Memorandum of Understanding. NM move to send on to HAYC as is. LF2nd. Unan-aye. Lucy to ask Kullas (and others) for old, noncommercially viable seed for this and other projects.
3. Publications. Review comments on brochure…overall it is okay. Go ahead and pass out old brochures until we run out, then these. Put Valley Creek Farm on farm map.
4. Newberg Community Talk. Tueday March 17th. Nicole and Rick can do it if Newberg still wants us. Lucy to have brochure and (hopefully) map done. We can mention April potluck. Lucy to contact Newberg.
5. Power of Community. February 24th. SFYC has no real responsibilities at this though we will wear nametags, help collect canned food, and hand out brochures. SFYC will also have table space to put brochures/posters/etc. Judi to make nametags. Initial count of who will attend: Nannette, Judi, Lucy, Rick. We will have the opportunity to talk to Bill. There will be a POCIII in June.
6. Programming. February Bill Bradbury. Nicole to ask SFU about ‘promotional materials’. Lucy to work on a poster(s). Lucy to call Kullas re winter farm tour. NR: it is okay to sell seeds at library. Rick is talking with Oregon Tilth. April-Dolce Farms potluck. April 18th “Family Nature Day” at Sue Buel School. SFYC to have ‘seed planting station’ or some such thing. Lucy is contact, details to follow. April- Dolce Farm potluck/public meeting. May- winery tour…Nikki Shoemaker to talk to winery contacts regarding potential tasting/potluck at a winery/vineyard. An altenrative would be to have it at one of two distilleries (Ransom Wine and Spirits) or the Honey mead guy. Potential to have bee talk at Honey mead location?
7. Documentary. Lucy gave rundown on documentary idea, working with Linfield student Mike McDowell, etc. In short: A documentary of local food producers here in the County. A snapshot of various producers representing various aspects of food (e.g. vegetables, fruit, grains, meat, spirits, other?) In theory Lucy would organize and conduct all interviews with Mike filming and then following up with editing work. Cost to be very low. NM moved for SFYC to support Lucy in this endeavor, NV 2nd, unan-aye. Potential external funding/showing: Soil and Water Conservation, Extension, MACA, Ch 11, Library.
8. Community Health Project with Sara Bates (Yamhill County Health Services). Would like SFYC’s continued participation on the task force. Judi Herubin to serve as primary, Lucy and Nicole as alternates.
9. Sue Buel. No idea about garden. See above for “Family Nature Day”. JH moved to support SFYC involvement in Nature Day, NM 2nd, Unan-aye.
10. Email list. Judi to be responsible for email list. Likely to be broken down into: board members, SFU members, and general interest group.
What is happening with Yamhill County agricultural study? Lucy to email Mary Stern and ask about it and ask if she wants SFYC emails.
Local Food Companies. Lucy has collected (large) list of food companies in Oregon. Would like to pass it on. Lucy to send Nikki S. list of companies in Yamhill County and she will share what she knows.
Next meeting: March 4th. 5:15 p.m. Village Quarter. Board meeting, public is welcome.