Friday, February 20, 2009

Feb. 11 minutes

Slow Food Yamhill County
February 11, 2009 Minutes

Attend: Judi, Nanette, Lucy, Nicole, Rick, Susan. Public: Nikki Shoemaker

1. Confirm bylaw adoption, discuss public meeting/elections. Bylaws adopted at last meeting. Public meeting/hearing: JH move to hold off until we are ready (probably April) and combine it with a fun event. NV2nd. Unan-aye. Side note: NM to call Dolcci farms about having that potluck at their place after the lambs come. Perhaps combine with potluck.

1.5 Rick Thronburg. LF put on table, JH moved to formally recognize Rick as a board member with full voting rights. LF2nd. Unan-aye (NM absent).

2. Village Quarter. Review comments regarding Memorandum of Understanding. NM move to send on to HAYC as is. LF2nd. Unan-aye. Lucy to ask Kullas (and others) for old, noncommercially viable seed for this and other projects.

3. Publications. Review comments on brochure…overall it is okay. Go ahead and pass out old brochures until we run out, then these. Put Valley Creek Farm on farm map.

4. Newberg Community Talk. Tueday March 17th. Nicole and Rick can do it if Newberg still wants us. Lucy to have brochure and (hopefully) map done. We can mention April potluck. Lucy to contact Newberg.

5. Power of Community. February 24th. SFYC has no real responsibilities at this though we will wear nametags, help collect canned food, and hand out brochures. SFYC will also have table space to put brochures/posters/etc. Judi to make nametags. Initial count of who will attend: Nannette, Judi, Lucy, Rick. We will have the opportunity to talk to Bill. There will be a POCIII in June.

6. Programming. February Bill Bradbury. Nicole to ask SFU about ‘promotional materials’. Lucy to work on a poster(s). Lucy to call Kullas re winter farm tour. NR: it is okay to sell seeds at library. Rick is talking with Oregon Tilth. April-Dolce Farms potluck. April 18th “Family Nature Day” at Sue Buel School. SFYC to have ‘seed planting station’ or some such thing. Lucy is contact, details to follow. April- Dolce Farm potluck/public meeting. May- winery tour…Nikki Shoemaker to talk to winery contacts regarding potential tasting/potluck at a winery/vineyard. An altenrative would be to have it at one of two distilleries (Ransom Wine and Spirits) or the Honey mead guy. Potential to have bee talk at Honey mead location?

7. Documentary. Lucy gave rundown on documentary idea, working with Linfield student Mike McDowell, etc. In short: A documentary of local food producers here in the County. A snapshot of various producers representing various aspects of food (e.g. vegetables, fruit, grains, meat, spirits, other?) In theory Lucy would organize and conduct all interviews with Mike filming and then following up with editing work. Cost to be very low. NM moved for SFYC to support Lucy in this endeavor, NV 2nd, unan-aye. Potential external funding/showing: Soil and Water Conservation, Extension, MACA, Ch 11, Library.

8. Community Health Project with Sara Bates (Yamhill County Health Services). Would like SFYC’s continued participation on the task force. Judi Herubin to serve as primary, Lucy and Nicole as alternates.

9. Sue Buel. No idea about garden. See above for “Family Nature Day”. JH moved to support SFYC involvement in Nature Day, NM 2nd, Unan-aye.

10. Email list. Judi to be responsible for email list. Likely to be broken down into: board members, SFU members, and general interest group.

11. Miscellaneous.
What is happening with Yamhill County agricultural study? Lucy to email Mary Stern and ask about it and ask if she wants SFYC emails.
Local Food Companies. Lucy has collected (large) list of food companies in Oregon. Would like to pass it on. Lucy to send Nikki S. list of companies in Yamhill County and she will share what she knows.

Next meeting: March 4th. 5:15 p.m. Village Quarter. Board meeting, public is welcome.

Jan. 21 minutes

Oh, friends, I am sorry. Been swamped lately, and getting far too far behind with my Slow Food responsibilities. Here are your sadly belated minutes from Jan. 21, followed promptly by the also-belated mintues for Feb. 11.
Slow Food Yamhill County Minutes
January 21, 2009

In attendance: Nicole, Lucy, Judi, Susan, Nanette, Rick

I. I. Bylaws. Judi presented four potential changes to the bylaws (sections 2, 8, and 9). SR moved to approve bylaws as amended. LF seconded. Unanimous approval.

II. II. Committee for information packets. Lucy and Nicole to update/amend brochure to make more informative for potential members. Lucy to update actual brochure and Nicole to draft something for an insert to the brochure outlining where the membership money goes.

III. Mission Statement. All recognized that we had adopted a MS in December.

IV. IV. First Quarter Member Meeting. Scheduled a board meeting for February 11th at which time we will: approve brochure, continue programming, review email list, update on Victor Manor garden, set agenda for public meeting, review nominations, decide who gets emailed minutes and such, and other as it comes up. Scheduled a PUBLIC meeting for March 4th at which we will: hold elections, reeducate members on 2009 goals. It was decided that proof of payment will qualify one to be eligible to be on the board.

V. V. Programming. Set: February 24th – Power of Community, talk with Bill Bradbury. April- Kulla talk on winter gardening. Victor Manor garden-Spring.

VI. Miscellaneous.
§ Susan will not be renewing her membership and thus will not be running for a place on the board.
§ Lucy thought it would be neat to have a documentary of local food producers.
§ Rick had a long list of great ideas that made me too interested to take notes.

§ Lucy: update brochure and get out to Board for review. Contact library for Kulla date. Work on map. Go through email list with Judi.
§ Nicole: Where money goes insert to Lucy. Contact seed company and set talk date for Feb/Mar. Send out email to general interest group informing: here we are, this is what we are doing, this is how you might get involved, we love food, etc. Work on map. Contact/dates for bee talk. Complete SFU survey.
§ Judi: Add edits to bylaws for final perusal (though we already approved them). Draft letter of intent for VQ garden. Go through email list with Lucy.
§ Nanette: Continue to work with VQ residents on VQ garden.
§ Rick: Cast lines for those who might be interested in talking/hosting potluck/etc. Think of materials that the library might want to carry.
§ All: Review bylaws, brochure, and LOI and get comments back. Continue to think positively about Slow Food.